Jennifer M. Gómez, Ph.D.
"You have to act as if it were possible to radically transform the world. And you have to do it all the time."--Angela Davis
As of 17 May 2022, I no longer work at Wayne State University. I will always treasure and be grateful for my time at MPSI.
For details on cultural betrayal trauma theory, my upcoming book on cultural betrayal, sexual abuse, and healing for Black women and girls, my new faculty position at Boston University, my contact information, and more, please see: https://jmgomez.org
Honors and Awards
For a complete list, see Curriculum Vita
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Gómez, J. M. (2021). Gender, campus sexual violence, cultural betrayal, institutional betrayal, and institutional support in U.S. ethnic minority college students: A descriptive study. Advanced online publication. Violence Against Women. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077801221998757
- Gómez, J. M., Caño, A., & Baltes, B. B. (2021). Who are we missing? Examining the Graduate Record Examination quantitative score as a barrier to admission into psychology doctoral programs for capable ethnic minorities. Training and Education in Professional Psychology. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1037/tep0000336
- Gómez, J. M., Gobin, R. L., & Barnes, M. (2021). Discrimination, violence, and healing within marginalized communities. Journal of Trauma & Dissociation, 22(2), 135-140. https://10.1080/15299732.2021.1869059
- Gómez, J. M. (2021). Does gender matter? An exploratory study of cultural betrayal trauma and hallucinations in Latino undergraduates at a predominantly White university. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 36(3-4), NP1375–1390NP. https://10.1177/0886260517746942
- Gómez, J. M. (2020). Gendered sexual violence: Betrayal trauma, dissociation, & PTSD in diverse college students. Advanced online publication. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, & Trauma. https://10.1080/10926771.2020.1783737
- Gómez, J. M. (2020). Cultural betrayal as a dimension of traumatic harm: Violence & PTSS among ethnic minority emerging adults. Advanced Online Publication. Journal of Child & Adolescent Trauma. https://10.1007/s40653-020-00314-0
- Gómez, J. M. (2020). It hurts when you’re close: The roles of high betrayal sexual trauma and dissociation in suicidal ideation in young adults. Violence & Victims, 35, 712-723. https://10.1891/VV-D-19-00150
- Gómez, J. M. (2020). Trainee perspectives on relational cultural therapy and cultural competency in supervision of trauma cases. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 30, 60-66. doi: 10.1037/int0000154
- Gómez, J. M., & Gobin, R. L. (2020). Black women and girls & #MeToo: Rape, cultural betrayal, & healing. Sex Roles: A Journal of Research, 82, 1-12. doi: 10.1007/s11199-019-01040-0
- Gómez, J. M. (2019). Group dynamics as a predictor of dissociation for Black victims of violence: An exploratory study of cultural betrayal trauma theory. Transcultural Psychiatry, 56, 878-894. doi: 10.1177/1363461519847300
- Gómez, J. M. (2019). Isn’t it all about victimization? (Intra)cultural pressure and cultural betrayal trauma in ethnic minority college women. Violence Against Women, 25, 1211-1225. doi: 10.1177/1077801218811682
- Gómez, J. M. (2019). What’s the harm? Internalized prejudice and intra-racial trauma as cultural betrayal among ethnic minority college students. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 89, 237-247. doi: 10.1037/ort0000367
- Gómez, J. M. (2018). What's in a betrayal? Trauma, dissociation, and hallucinations among high-functioning ethnic minority emerging adults. Advanced online publication. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, & Trauma. doi: 10.1080/10926771.2018.1494653
- Gómez, J. M., & Freyd, J. J. (2018). Psychological outcomes of within-group sexual violence: Evidence of cultural betrayal. Journal of Immigrant & Minority Health, 20, 1458-1467. doi: 10.1007/s10903-017-0687-0
- Gómez, J. M., Lewis, J. K, Noll, L. K., Smidt, A. M., & Birrell, P. J. (2016). Shifting the focus: Nonpathologizing approaches to healing from betrayal trauma through an emphasis on relational care. Journal of Trauma & Dissociation [Special Section], 17, 165-185. doi: 10.1080/15299732.2016.1103104
- Gómez, J. M., Kaehler, L. A., & Freyd, J. J. (2014). Are hallucinations related to betrayal trauma exposure? A three-study exploration. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, & Policy, 6, 675-682. doi: 10.1037/a0037084
- Gómez, J. M. (2020). Exposure to discrimination, cultural betrayal, and intoxication as a Black female graduate student applying for tenure-track faculty positions. In Y. F. Niemann, G. Gutierrez y Muhs, & C. G. Gonzalez, Presumed Incompetent II: Race, Class, Power, & Resistance of Women in Academia (pp. 204-214). Boulder, CO: University Press of Colorado.
- Gobin, R. L., & Gómez, J. M. (2020). The cultural context of sexual assault and its consequences among ethnic minority women. In R. Geffner, V. Vieth, V. Vaughan-Eden, A. Rosenbaum, L. K. Hamberger, & J. White, (Eds.), Handbook of Interpersonal Violence Across the Lifespan. New York City, NY: Springer/National Partnership to End Interpersonal Violence Across the Lifespan (NPEIV).
- Gómez, J. M., & Freyd, J. J. (2019). Betrayal/trauma. In J. J. Ponzetti (Ed.), Macmillan Encyclopedia of Intimate and Family Relationships: An Interdisciplinary Approach (pp. 79-82). Boston, MA: Cengage Learning Inc.
- McDaniel, M. C. & Gómez, J. M. (2021, June). As Biden Administration Reviews Title IX Regulations, We are Reminded that Universal Mandated Reporting Creates Increased Risk for Marginalized & LGBT+ Sexual Violence Survivors (online). https://mcmcd.blogspot.com/2021/06/as-biden-administration-reviews-title.html
- Gómez, J. M. (2021, June). Reforming Title IX: Evidence of the harm of universal mandated reporting for marginalized survivors of campus sexual violence. Talk at the U.S. Department of Education Title IX Live Hearings, Washington, D.C. (online). https://titleixdoelivehearingsgomez2021.blogspot.com/2021/06/reforming-title-ix-evidence-of-harm-of.html
- Gómez, J. (2019, November 7). Live up to your mission, UO. The Register-Guard. Retrieved from https://www.registerguard.com/opinion/20191107/guest-view-live-up-to-to-your-mission-uo
- Gómez, J. M. (2019, September 13). Navigating the dialectic of privilege and oppression. Inside Higher Ed Conditionally Accepted Blog. Retrieved from https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2019/09/13/balancing-sense-both-oppression-and-privilege-new-faculty-member-color-opinion
- Gómez, J. M. (2019, May 13). The unique harm of sexual abuse in the Black community. The Conversation. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/the-unique-harm-of-sexual-abuse-in-the-black-community-114948
- Gómez, J. M. (2018, December 6). Black women and #MeToo: The violence of silencing. The Black Commentator, 767. Retrieved from http://www.blackcommentator.com/767/767_guest_gomez_black_women_and_metoo.html
- Gómez, J. M. (2018, February 16). A time for arrogance: A minority scholar describes the challenges she experienced on the academic job market. Inside Higher Ed Conditionally Accepted Blog. Retrieved from https://www.insidehighered.com/advice /2018/02/16/minority-scholar-describes-challenges-she-experienced-academic-job-market-opinion