The mission of the Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute for Child and Family Development (MPSI) is to promote and improve the development, health and well-being of infants, children, youth, and their families across the lifespan, through research, education, and outreach. Our mission is to:
• Conduct research focusing on urban populations at increased risk due to community, environmental, biomedical, psychosocial and other challenges.
• Translate research into policy and practice that directly improve the lives of urban children and families.
• Promote interdisciplinary research in developmental sciences across Wayne State University – bridging schools, departments, disciplines and individuals.
• Provide challenging undergraduate, graduate and post-doctoral research training in child and family development.
• Engage the community through public outreach, professional development, publications, and educational activities for the common good.